Rhiw, a village and a parish in Carnarvonshire. The village stands on high rugged ground, adjacent to the head of Hells Month Bay, 10½ miles SW of Pwllheli. The parish was united in 1888 with that of Llanfachrhys. Acreage, 3240; population, 490; of the ecclesiastical, with Llandudwen, 307. Mynydd Rhiw has an altitude of 1013 feet. The living is a rectory, united with the perpetual curacy of Llandudwen, in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £70 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is Early English.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|County Court district||Pwllheli|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rhiw St. Aelrhiw|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llanfaelrhys St. Maelrys|
|Poor Law union||Pwllheli|
|Registration district||Pwllheli||1837 - 1934|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Rhiw from 1837 to 1934 you should search for the Pwllheli Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rhiw from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Rhiw are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: