Penmorfa, a village and a parish in Carnarvonshire. The village stands 2 miles WNW of Portmadoc. Post town, Portmadoc. The parish, with Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, was united in 1886 with Dolbenmaen. Acreage of the whole three parishes, 21,253; population, 2066. For civil purposes the three parishes are united and called Dolbenmaen, which has a parish council consisting of fifteen members. There is also a large village called Garn, with a population of about 800, in the united parishes, about 1 mile from Brynkis station. Much of the area is upland and waste. The living is a rectory, united with Dolbenmaen, in the diocese of Bangor; joint gross value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is good, and contains monuments to Sir John Owen and Sir Joseph Hubbert. There are Calvinistic Methodist and Congregational chapels.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Penmorfa are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: