Llysfaen, a village and a parish in Carnarvonshire. The village stands near the coast, 5 miles W of Abergele, and has a station on the L. & N.W.R., and a post office under Abergele (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Llandulas. The parish contains the townships of Isallt, Isyfford, Pant, Penmaen, and Ehungyddwyffordd. Acreage, 1879; population of the civil parish, 1700; of the ecclesiastical, 1207. Llysfaen Hill is about 700 feet high, commands a magnificent view, and was crowned by a semaphore telegraph station on the line from Holyhead to Liverpool. Limestone is very largely worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £232 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. There are Calvinistic Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|County Court district||Conway|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llysfaen St. Cynfran|
|Poor Law union||Conway|
|Registration district||Conway||1837 - 1927|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Llysfaen from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Llysfaen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: