Llangelynin, a parish in Carnarvonshire, on the river Conway, 2¼ miles SSW of Conway. It contains the townships of Glynn, Penrallt, and Cae Gorlan, and its post town is Conway. Acreage, 2418; population of the civil parish, 220; of the ecclesiastical, 158. Cairns, tumuli, and other antiquities are on the hills. The Saxons under Edred were beaten here in 880 by Anarawd. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £139 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St Celynin. It was built to replace an ancient one, which is situated at the foot of the Talyfan Mountain, 1800 feet above the level of the sea, and is consequently inaccessible during a great part of the winter, but occasionally during the summer services are held in it. This building was erected in the 7th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Conway||1837 - 1934|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llangelynin from 1837 to 1934 you should search for the Conway Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: