Llanfair Is Gaer, Carnarvonshire
Llanfair-is-Gaer, a parish in Carnarvonshire, on the Menai Strait, 2½ miles NE by N of Carnarvon. It has stations at Griffith's Crossing and Port Dinorwic on the Bangor and Carnarvon branch of the L. & N.W.R. It contains the village of Brynffynon and the seaport village of Port Dinorwic, the latter of which has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bangor. Acreage, 1489; population of the civil parish, 1533; of the ecclesiastical, 2512. Plas Llanfair is a chief residence. Port Dinorwic is a shipping place for slates from the Snowdonian quarries. A Roman camp was on the coast, immediately above the site of the church, and hence the name Llanfair-is-Gaer, which signifies "Mary Church under a fort." Agricola crossed hence to Anglesey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £177 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1865; is in the Early English style, of local stone, faced with Newry granite and with Wrexham stone; comprises nave, transept, and chancel, with vestry and bell-turret, and has a memorial E window. There are Congregational, Calvinistic Methodist, Baptist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carnarvon||1837 - 1937|
|Registration district||Caernarvon||1937 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: