UK Genealogy Archives logo

Llandwrog, Carnarvonshire

Historical Description

Llandwrog, a village and a parish in Carnarvonshire. The parish lies on Carnarvon Bay, on the Sarn Helen Way, 1 mile S of Groeslon station on the Carnarvon and Afon Wen branch of the L. & N.W.R. and 5 miles S by W of Carnarvon. The village has a post office under Carnarvon; money order office, Groeslon; telegraph office, Llanwnda. The parish includes Bodfan, Brynrodyn, Glynllifon, and Rhos-nenan. Acreage, 8764 of land, 81 of water, and 140 of foreshore; population, 3780. Glynllifon is Lord Newborough's seat, and stands amid a splendidly wooded park. Slate quarries are at Pen-y-Bryn, Talysarn, and Cilgwyn, and a copper mine is at Drws-y-Coed, under Suowdon. Dinas Dinlle, on a hill of sand and pebbles overlooking the sea, is an ancient fortification of about 20 acres, appears to have been originally British, was occupied by the Romans, and is said to have been connected with Segontinm, shows a double strong range of escarpments, and contains traces of watch-towers, but has in its seaward front suffered considerable abrasion by the billows. Edward I. once made a sojourn within the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £114 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St Twrog, was rebuilt in 1864 at a cost of £7000, all defrayed by Lord Newborough; is in the Decorated English style, cruciform, of Anglesey limestone lined with Bath stone, and has a tower and spire 110 feet high. A considerable section of the parish, designated St Thomas, was constituted a separate charge in 1856, and has a population of 3074. The living is a perpetual curacy; net value, £126 with residence. Patron, the Rector. The church is modern.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Registration districtCarnarvon1837 - 1937
Registration districtCaernarvon1937 - 1974

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Llandwrog are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online:

CountyGwynedd
RegionWales
CountryWales
Postal districtLL54
Post TownCaernarfon