Llandegai, a village and a parish in Carnarvonshire. The-village stands on the river Ogwen, 1½ mile E by S of Bangor, takes its name from St Tegai, who, about the end of the 5th century, came from Armorica, and founded a church here; and consists of neat, well-kept cottages, formed on a general design, and clustered round the church. The parish contains-also the hamlets of Coed-y-Park, Port Penrhyn, and Tregarth, and its post town is Bangor. Acreage, 14,466 of land, 26S of water, 82 of tidal water, and 479 of foreshore; population of the civil parish, 3246; of the ecclesiastical, 1521. Nearly all the property belongs to the Pennant family. Penrhyn Castle and Penrhyn Slate Quarries are very prominent features, but will be noticed in the article PENKHYN. The surface is mountainous, and includes the basin of Llyn Idwal, the mountain of Eldyr Fawr, and other masses and summits. of Snowdonia. The rocks possess all the interest of the most striking parts of the Snowdonian region, particularly in their schists, and they include copper, lead, zinc, manganese and iron ores, chert, and many other useful or curious minerals. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £276. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is cruciform, and of the time of Edward III.; was restored by Lord Penrhyn; stands on a rising ground, embosomed in trees,. and approached by a dense avenue of yews; and contains a beautiful alabaster altar-tomb, said to have been brought from Llanvaes Priory, a mural monument to Archbishop Williams, of the time of James L, and a fine monument, by Westmacott, to Lord and Lady Penrhyn. The ecclesi-astiacal parish of St Ann was constituted in 1845; population, 1655. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, Lord Penrhyn. The church was built in 1865 with funds supplied by Lord Penrhyn, is in the Decorated English style of local stone,. with Anglesey stone dressings, and has a tower and spire 110 feet high. There are Congregational, Calvinistic Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. A battle was fought near Llandegai village in 1648, between the Eoyalists under Sir John Owen, and the Parliamentarians under Col. Twistleton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Pwllheli||1837 - 1934|
|Registration district||Bangor||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: