Llansantffread, a parish in Breconshire, on the river Usk, adjacent to Talybout station on the Brecon and Merthyr railway, and 6 miles SE of Brecon. The Roman road from Caerleon to Bannium runs through this parish over a hill called the Allt. It contains the village of Scethrog, and its post town is Bwlch (R.S.O.) Acreage, 2247; population, 196. The manor belonged to the Princes of Powis. Buck-land was formerly the seat of the Jones family, is now the seat of the Holford family, and stands in a remarkably beautiful situation. Newton, now a farmhouse, was the seat of the Vaughans, one of whom was Henry Vaughan "Silurist," under which name he published two poems, one entitled "Olor Iscanus, or the Swan of the Usk." Silnrist appears to have been his nom de plume. He lies buried in the parish churchyard. Another was rector of the parish and a chemist. An inscribed stone, called the Victorinus Stone, stands by the side of a public road. The only letters legible are " Victoreni"-supposed to commemorate the interment of a son of Victorinus. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £232 with residence. The church is dedicated to St Freada or St Bride, and was rebuilt in 1885, the style adopted being transitional Early English of the 13th century; it contains monuments to the Vaughans.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Brecknock||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Breconshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: