Llanhamlach or Llanamwich, a village and a parish in Brecknockshire. The village stands on the river Usk, the Brecon Canal, and the Via Julia Montana, under the Brecknock Beacons, 3½ miles SE of Brecon. The parish contains also the hamlet of Llechfaen, and its post town is Brecon. Acreage, 1911; population, 268. The manor belonged to Bernard Newmarch. Peterstone is the chief residence. The remnant of a cistvaen, called Ty Illtyd, is at Manest Court. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £246 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1802 and restored in 1887; it retains the tower of a previous edifice, and is shaded by massive yew trees.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Brecknock||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Breconshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: