Llangammarch or Llangammarch Wells, a village and a parish in Brecknockshire. The village is 500 feet above the level of the sea, stands at the confluence of the rivers Cammarch and Yrfon, under Eppynt Mountain, 7½ miles WSW of Builth, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), two hotels, and a station on the L. & N.W.R. The parish includes the hamlets of Treflis and Penbnallt. Population, 720. Llwynmadoc, situated on the Cammarch, is a chief residence. There is a beautifully situated lake. The spa has a spring strongly charged with chloride of barium, not found anywhere else in the kingdom, and is efficacious in strumous and various other affections. The place has in consequence acquired importance as a health resort. An ancient British camp, 240 feet in circuit, is near Caerau. Roman pottery has been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £250. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church, erected in the 5th century, is dedicated to St Cadmarch, who was a descendant of St Brychan, an Irish prince, from whom the county derives its name Breconshire, in Welsh £rycheiniog. An Irish cross is in the W end wall of the church. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. Bishop Howell and James Howell, ambassador and author of " Familiar Letters," were natives; and the Rev Theophilns Evans (whose remains lie in the churchyard), author of " The Mirror of the Primitive Ages," a standard Welsli work, was vicar.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Breconshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: