Sennen, a village and a parish in Cornwall The village stands 387 feet above sea-level, 1 mile E of Land's End, and 9 miles SW of Penzance station on the G.W.R., and has an inn, called the First and Last Inn in England. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish includes Land's End and the lighthouse off it, and comprises 2299 acres; population, 676. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. Salt-works were here at Domesday, but have been discontinued. Small harbours are at Sennen cove and Whitsand Bay, and fishing is largely carried on. Roman coins were found in 1807. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; net value, £150 with residence. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is ancient but good. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Bible Christian chapels. Several very fine and ancient granite crosses stand near the churchyard.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sennen St. Senan|
|Poor Law union||Penzance|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sennen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sennen (St. Senan))
Online maps of Sennen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.