UK Genealogy Archives logo

Garthbrengy, Breconshire

Historical Description

Garthbrengy, a parish in the county of Brecon, on the river Honddu, 3 miles N of Brecon. Post town, Brecon. Acreage, 1962; population, 153. The surface rises abruptly from the Honddu. The living is a vicarage, held with that of Llanfihangel Vechan, in the diocese of St David's; joint net value, £165 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1874. Garfchbrengy is a corruption of Garth-bryn-cu, its original and correct name, which means, " Garth (or enclosure) on the loved eminence." In ancient MS. it is thus spelt.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Registration districtBrecknock1837 - 1974

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Breconshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: