Devynock, a village, a parish, and a forest in Breconshire. The village stands on the rivulet Senny, the Julian way, 8½ miles W by S of Brecon, is a seat of petty sessions, and has a station on the Swansea, Brecon, and Hereford branch of the M.R. It has a woollen factory, a tannery, corn and saw mills, and a fair on 16th April. The parish includes the townships of Senny, Glyntawe, Cray, Glyn, and Maescar, and contains the post, money order, and telegraph office of Senny Bridge (R.S.O., Breconshire). Acreage, 32,574; population of the civil parish, 1767; of the ecclesiastical, 994. The ecclesiastical parish includes the townships of Maescar and Senny, the other townships being in different ecclesiastical parishes. The manor was given to Bernard Newmarch. A fortress, called Castell Du or Black Castle, stood adjacent to Senny Bridge, and has bequeathed its name to a farmhouse on its site. An early British circle, called Cerrig-duon, is near Devynock village. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of St David's; net value, £465 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1888; it has in its tower an ancient inscribed stone, and contains a Norman font. There are Congregational, Baptist, Wesleyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels. The forest comprises about 20,000 acres, and is now a bare hilly tract.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Breconshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: