Bronllys, Broynllis or Brynllys, a village and a parish in Brecknockshire. The village stands on the river Llyfni, 1 mile NW of Talgarth, and 7 miles SW of Hay, and has a post office under Talgarth (R.S.O.), which is the money order and telegraph office. The parish comprises 2187 acres; population, 297. A ruined castle here has been thought by some to be of Phoenician origin, but was really a structure of the 13th century, built after the model of the round tower of Pembroke Castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £131 with residence. The church has some Norman windows and a detached bell-tower. There is also a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Hay||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Breconshire is online.
Online maps of Bronllys are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: