Battle, a parish in Brecknockshire, on the river Yscir, 3 miles NW of Brecon, which is the post town. Acreage, 1600; population, 126. The surface is diversified, and commands fine views. The manor belonged to the priory of Brecon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David; net value, £124. The church is a low building, situated on an eminence. It was restored in 1880.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|County Court district||Brecon|
|Poor Law union||Brecknock|
|Registration district||Brecknock||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
We have transcribed the Marriages at Battle, 1837-1920
The registers of baptisms and burials date from 1720; marriages, 1754.
Church of England
St. Cynog (parish church)
The church of St. Cynog, built early in the 14th century to accommodate inhabitants who formerly possessed a chapel attached to the priory church of Brecon (itself an offshoot of the Great Abbey of Battle in Sussex) is a small Early English building, consisting of a chancel, nave, with one porch, and a tower containing one bell: the church was restored in 1880, at a cost of £1,000, and affords 120 sittings; the church plate includes a chalice dated 1576
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Battle from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Breconshire is online.
Online maps of Battle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: