Aberyscir, a parish in Breconshire, 2½ miles W by N of Brecon, the post town. Acreage, 1945; population, 158. The Yscir river falls here into the Usk, and has, on the right bank, the parish church, surrounded with yew-on the left bank the Gaer, a rectangular camp and several ramparts, together with substructions of walls, supposed to be identical with the British town of Bannium or Gaer Benni, which was adopted as a station by the Roman general Ostorius Scapula. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; net value, £114. The church belonged anciently to Malvern Priory.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|County Court district||Brecon|
|Poor Law union||Brecknock|
|Registration district||Brecknock||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aberyscir from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Breconshire is online.
Online maps of Aberyscir are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: