Penmon, a parish in Anglesey, on the coast, opposite Puffin Island, 4 miles NNE of Beaumaris, and 8½ NE of Menai Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Beaumaris. Acreage, 1029, with 303 of foreshore; population, 231. The land is a peninsula at the N entrance of Menai Strait, and terminates in a headland, which is Penmon Proper, or " the head of Mona." A religions establishment was founded here in the 6th century by Rinion Frenhin, and was converted into a Benedictine priory in 1220 by Llewelyn ab Jorwerth. The priory church is a small cruciform edifice, chiefly Norman, but the chancel is of the early part of the 15th century. It was carefully restored in 1854. To the south of the church are the ruins of the 13th-century refectory, under which was the hall. A large dovecot tower, with a curious stone roof, is close by, and on the hill above is a cross about 6½ feet high. About half a mile N of the priory is the lighthouse connected with the shore by an iron bridge. Millstone, good limestone, and marble are found. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Llanfaes, in the diocese of Bangor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Bangor||1837 - 1933|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Penmon from 1837 to 1933 you should search for the Bangor Registration District.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Anglesey is online.
Online maps of Penmon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: