Newborough St Peter, Anglesey
Newborough St Peter, a decayed ancient town and a parish in Anglesey. The town stands near Malldraeth Bay, 4 miles SE of Bodorgan station on the Chester and Holyhead section of the L. & N.W.R., and 6 WNW of Carnarvon; had anciently a residence of the princes of North Wales, bore then the name of Rhos Vair, was made a " new borough " by Edward I., sent a member to Parliament from that time till the time of Henry VIII., and was deprived of its franchise in favour of Beaumaris by Edward VI. It is now merely a village, carries on a curious manufacture in mats and ropes from bent grass for the North Wales markets, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, of the name of Newborough, under Gaerwen (R.S.O.) The parish comprises 5116 acres of land and 10 of water, with 14 of adjacent tidal water and 1415 of foreshore; population, 960. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. Much of the land is desolate seaboard. Llanddwyn Island lies at the extremity of Newborough Warren, and has almost been overwhelmed with sand blown from the opposite coast of Arvonia. There is a lifeboat station and a lighthouse on the island. An ancient abbey stood on that island, and had a cruciform church 70 feet long, of Later English date, but very little of it now remains. An inscribed stone, 6 feet high, was removed from Frondeg, and is now placed in the vestry wall of Llangaffo parish church. Many rare maritime plants grow on the sandy shores. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor; gross value, £253 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Decorated English; consists of nave and choir, forming a single aisle upwards of 100 feet in length; and has a good E window and a good Early English font. There are Congregational, Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carnarvon||1837 - 1937|
|Registration district||Anglesey East||1937 - 1968|
|Registration district||Anglesey||1968 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
FindMyPast have a parish records collection which includes transcripts and images of most Welsh parish registers.
This includes Newborough: Baptisms from 1663 to 1812, Marriages from 1699 to 1927, and Burials from 1689 to 1812. Free to search.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Newborough St Peter from 1837 to 1937 you should search for the Carnarvon Registration District.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Newborough St Peter from 1937 to 1968 you should search for the Anglesey East Registration District.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Newborough St Peter from 1968 to 1974 you should search for the Anglesey Registration District.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Anglesey is online.
Online maps of Newborough St Peter are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: