Llangefni, a market-town and a parish in Anglesey. The town stands on the river Cefni, on the Roman road to Holy-head, and on the Anglesey Central branch of the L. & N.W.R., in a pleasant vale, 9 miles W by S of Beaumaris, has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) It was only a small hamlet in the latter part of the 18th century, but has risen to provincial importance in consequence of its situation as a marketing centre. It formerly united with Beaumaris, Holyhead, and Amlwch in sending a member to Parliament, but in 1885 was merged in the county for parliamentary purposes. It is a seat of petty sessions and county courts. The Cefni is crossed here by two bridges, each of two arches. The town has a town-hall, a market-hall, three banks, a church, and Baptist, Congregational, Wesleyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels. Leather-currying is carried on. The church is dedicated to St Cyngar, was rebuilt in 1824, and includes an ancient inscribed stone., A weekly market is held on Thursday; fairs are held monthly. The parish comprises 2510 acres; population of the civil parish, 1624; of the ecclesiastical, 1756. Tregamedd, about a mile from the town, succeeded a mansion of the 13th century, was itself built in the time of Henry VII., and is now a farmhouse. Ednyfed Fychan, the minister of Llewelyn, and the ancestor of the Tudors, resided at Tregamedd, and his grandson, Sir Gruffydd Llwyd, who eventually suffered death by command of Edward I. at Rhyddlan Castle, was born there, and sustained a siege in the fortified mansion. The living is a rectory, united with the perpetual curacy of Tregaian, in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £188 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Anglesey||1837 - 1937|
|Registration district||Anglesey East||1937 - 1968|
|Registration district||Anglesey||1968 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
FindMyPast have a parish records collection which includes transcripts and images of most Welsh parish registers.
This includes Llangefni: Baptisms from 1793 to 1912, Marriages from 1813 to 1925, and Burials from c1600 to 1975. Free to search.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llangefni from 1837 to 1937 you should search for the Anglesey Registration District.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llangefni from 1937 to 1968 you should search for the Anglesey East Registration District.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llangefni from 1968 to 1974 you should search for the Anglesey Registration District.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Anglesey is online.
Online maps of Llangefni are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: