Llanddwyn or Llanddwynwen, a quondam parish and an island in Newborough parish, Anglesey, 4¼ miles SSW of Bodorgan station on the L. & N.W.R., and 8 W of Carnarvon. "Almost the whole of the island," says Rowlands, "has been overwhelmed with a mass of sand, insomuch as the violent winds have blown from the opposite coast of Arvonia sand raised up by the force of tempests, and thrown upon the shore." The adherents of the Earl of Richmond carried on here their intrigues against King Richard. Carnarvon Lighthouse stands on Llanddwyn Point, at the mouth of Malldraeth Bay. An oratory to St Dwynwen stood on the island and was succeeded by a Benedictine monastery. The church was cruciform, Later English, and 70 feet long, but only the E end and part of the side walls of the choir remain. The living of the quondam parish was an early prebend in Bangor Cathedral.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Anglesey is online.
Online maps of Llanddwyn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: