Quethiock, a parish in Cornwall, on the rivers Lynher and Tidy, 2½ miles NE of Menheniot station on the G.W.R., and 4 E of Liskeard. It has a post office under Liskeard; money order and telegraph office, Liskeard. Acreage, 4562; population, 445. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Stone and slate are quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £240 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is ancient, has a tower, and contains a curious brass of 1462 and other brasses. In the churchyard there is one of the finest of the ancient British crosses of the type peculiar to this county. There are two Wesleyan chapels. A cattle lair is held on the last Monday in January.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Quethiock St. Hugh|
|Poor Law union||St. Germans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Quethiock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Quethiock (St. Hugh))
Online maps of Quethiock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.