Poundstock, a village and a parish in Cornwall, The village stands ly mile W of Widemouth Bay, 5½ SSW of Stratton, and 12½ NW of Launceston station on the G.W.R.; was known at Domesday as Poupestock. There is a post office under Stratton; money order and telegraph office, Stratton. Acreage of parish, 4799; population, 496. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged anciently to the Earl of Mortaigne. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £140 with residence. The church is ancient but good, and has a lofty tower. There are Methodist and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Poundstock St. Neot|
|Poor Law union||Stratton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Poundstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Poundstock (St. Neot))
Online maps of Poundstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.