Thruxton, a parish in Herefordshire, 2 miles WNW of Tram Inn station on the G.W.R., and 6 SW of Hereford. Post town, Hereford; money order and telegraph office, Tram Inn (R.S.O.) Acreage, 428; population of the civil-parish, 59; of the ecclesiastical, with Kingston e, 428. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Kingstone, in' the diocese of Hereford; net value, £167 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is Early English, and was restored in 1866.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thruxton St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Dore|
|Registration district||Dore||1837 - 1838|
|Registration district||Hereford||1838 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thruxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thruxton (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Thruxton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: