Poughill, a parish in Cornwall, on the coast, 1½ mile NW of Stratton, and 10 miles from Holsworthy station on the L. & S.W.R, It has a post office under Stratton; money order and telegraph office, Stratton. Acreage, 1929; population, 364. The manor was known at Domesday as Poche-helle, belonged then to the Earl of Mortaigne, was given to Cliff Abbey in Somerset, and passed to the Stanleys and others. Broomhill is the chief residence. Stamford Hill was the scene of a defeat of the Parliamentarians in 1643. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £95 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient and has a pinnacled tower, which has been restored. There are Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels, and an orphanage for ten girls.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Poughill St. Olave|
|Poor Law union||Stratton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Poughill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Poughill (St. Olave))
Online maps of Poughill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.