UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Stretton Sugwas, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Stretton Sugwas, a village and a parish in Herefordshire. The village is 2 miles SE of Credenhill station on the Hereford and Brecon section of the M.R., and 4 WNW of Hereford. It has a post office under Hereford; money order office, Hereford; telegraph office, Burghill. The parish includes the hamlet of Swainshill. Acreage, 1389; population of the civil parish, 350; of the ecclesiastical, 279. The manor belongs to Guy's Hospital. Sugwas Court is the chief residence. A palace of the Bishops of Hereford was formerly here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £131 with residence. The old Norman church was rebuilt on a new site in 1877, the whole of the old work, together with the 17th-century wooden tower, being transferred to the new church.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishStretton-Sugwas St. Mary Magdalene 
HundredGrimsworth 
Poor Law unionHereford 
Registration districtHereford1837 - 1974

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stretton Sugwas from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Stretton Sugwas are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online:

CountyHerefordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtHR4
Post TownHereford

Advertisement

Advertisement