UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Staunton on Wye, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Staunton-on-Wye, a parish, with a village, in Herefordshire, 2¼ miles S by W of Moorhampton station on the M.R., and 9 WNW of Hereford. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 2376; population, 503. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £154 with residence. Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is ancient, and has a tower with six bells. The chancel was rebuilt in 1720, and the north porch was added in 1878.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishStaunton-upon-Wye St. Mary 
HundredGrimsworth 
Poor Law unionWeobley 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Staunton on Wye from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Staunton on Wye are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online:

CountyHerefordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtHR4
Post TownHereford

Advertisement

Advertisement