UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Preston on Wye, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Preston-on-Wye, a village and a parish in Herefordshire, on the river Wye, 6 miles S of Moorhampton station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon section of the M.R., and 10 S by W of Weobly. There is a post and money order office under Hereford; telegraph office, Staunton-on-Wye. Acreage of the civil parish, 1380; population, 212; of the ecclesiastical, with Blakemere, 377. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Blakemere, in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £225 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1883; it includes the Huntley chapel, which was restored in 1887. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishPreston-upon-Wye St. Lawrence 
HundredWebtree 
Poor Law unionWeobley 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Preston on Wye from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Preston on Wye are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online:

CountyHerefordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtHR2
Post TownHereford

Advertisement

Advertisement