Philleigh or Filley, a parish in Cornwall, on the river Fal, 9 miles SSE of Truro station on the G.W.R. Post town, Grampound; money order office, Lanihorne; telegraph office, Portscatho. Acreage, 2403; population, 244. There are several ferries over the river Fal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; net value, £260 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1867, and is in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Philleigh or Filley St. Felix|
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Philleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Philleigh or Filley (St. Felix))
Online maps of Philleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.