UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Pipe and Lyde, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Pipe and Lyde, a parish in Herefordshire, 1½ mile SSW of Moreton station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Joint (L. & N.W. and G.W.) railway, and 3 miles N of Hereford. Post town, Hereford. Acreage, 1640; population, 231. The manor belongs to the governors of Guy's Hospital. Building stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £243 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is partly Norman, partly Early English, and of later dates. The chancel was restored in 1874 and the tower in 1886.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishPipe St. Peter 
HundredGrimsworth 
Poor Law unionHereford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Pipe and Lyde from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Pipe and Lyde are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online:

CountyHerefordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtHR4
Post TownHereford

Advertisement

Advertisement