UK Genealogy Archives logo

Peterchurch, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Peterchurch, a village and a parish in Herefordshire, the centre of the Golden Valley district. The village stands on the Dore stream, 9 miles E of Hay, and 12 W by S of Hereford, and has a station on the Golden Valley railway, and a post and money order office (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Pont-rilas. The parish comprises 5164 acres; population, 637. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. St Peter's Wells, at the foot of Stockley Hill, are supposed to possess healing properties. Urishay Castle, 1½ mile SW, on the summit of a steep hill, is now a farmhouse, but retains a moat and fosse. The ruins of Snodhill Castle are 1 mile NW. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £230. The church is Norman, and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. It was restored in 1869, and the N porch was added in 1888. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, and almshouses.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishPeter-Church St. Peter 
HundredWebtree 
Poor Law unionDore 
Registration districtDore1837 - 1838
Registration districtHereford1838 - 1974

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Peterchurch from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Peterchurch are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online:

CountyHerefordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtHR2
Post TownHereford