Orleton, a village and a parish in Herefordshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Teme, 1½ mile SW by S of Woofferton Junction station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford (Joint L. & N.W. and G.W.) railway, and of the boundary with Salop, and 5 miles S by W of Ludlow. It is one of the oldest villages in the county; presents a very antiquated appearance, as some of its houses are mostly constructed of timber; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), and a large cattle fair on 23 April. The parish contains also the hamlet of Comberton, and comprises 2606 acres; population, 513. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged once to the Mortimers, passed through various hands to Blonnt the antiquary, and is still in the possession of the Blount family. Ashley Moor is the chief residence. Orleton Court is the old manor house, and is said to have sheltered Charles II. after the battle of Worcester. There is a landslip called the Churn or Palmer's Cairn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £159 with residence. Patrons, the Governors of Lucton School. The church is variously Norman and Early English to Decorated; is a very interesting building, containing beautiful examples of windows of their several periods and a very fine Norman font. It comprises nave, chancel, porch, and tower, with oak-shingled steeple; contains monuments of the Blounts, a piscina, and an ancient wooden chest. It was most carefully and exactly restored in 1864. All the fittings are of oak. A greatly decayed ancient cross is in the churchyard. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Bishop Adam de Orleton was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Orleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Orleton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Orleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: