Mordiford, a village and a parish in Herefordshire. The village stands on the river Lugg, near its influx to the Wye, and under Backbury Hill, 2 miles NNE of Holme Lacy station on the G.W.R., and 4¼ ESE of Hereford. It has a post office under Hereford; money order office, Fownhope; telegraph office, Holme Lacy railway station. There is a bridge of seven arches over the Lugg. The parish contains also the hamlets of Checkley, Froome, and Sufton. Acreage, 1515; population, 482. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The rocks are interesting to geologists, form outlying ridges of the great Silurian valley of elevation.; and include much limestone very rich in fossils. Sufton Court, the seat of the Hereford family, was built in 1790. Old Sufton, now a farmhouse, is a good specimen of a 15th century timber house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; value, £230 with residence. The church has Norman portions; is chiefly Early English; has a transept rebuilt in 1852, and a tower rebuilt in 1814; was restored in 1869, when a N aisle was added; and contains a piscina, an ancient monument, an effigies with a very ancient inscription, some memorial windows, and a memorial of a very remarkable storm which passed over the village in 1811. In the churchyard is the shaft of an ancient stone cross, and an octagonal font of the 17th century. There is a mission church at Checkley.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mordiford Holy Rood|
|Poor Law union||Hereford|
|Registration district||Hereford||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Mordiford from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Hereford Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mordiford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mordiford (Holy Rood))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Mordiford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: