UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Michaelchurch Eskley, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Michaelchurch Eskley, a village and a parish in Herefordshire, on the river Eskley, an affluent of the river Monnow, under the Black Mountains, 3¼ miles E of the boundary with Brecknockshire, 3¼ W of Vowchurch station on the Golden Valley railway, and 8 SE of Hay. There is a post office under Hereford; money order office, Peterchurch; telegraph office, Hay. Acreage, 4586; population, 283. Michaelchurch Court is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of St Margaret's, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is Early English, with a tower, and was restored in 1872. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: