West Malvern, Herefordshire
Malvern, West, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Mathon, Colwall, and Cradley parishes, Herefordshire and Worcestershire, 2 miles W of Great Malvern, with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Malvern. The village consists chiefly of detached villas. The surface has a western aspect, and commands an extensive view over a hilly country. The water is of similar purity to that of Great Malvern. The Royal Well stands 1150 feet above the level of the sea. The Royal Well Hall is a handsome building in the Classic style; the hall is 150 feet long, and is surrounded by extensive grounds. A clergy home of rest and an orphanage for boys stand adjacent, and have a chapel attached. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1844. Population, 1343. That part of the ecclesiastical parish which lies in Worcestershire, and is in the civil parish of Mathon, forms part of the district of Malvern Link Local Board, and also part of that of the district council. The other two parts of the parish join, in their respective parishes of Cradley and Colwall, in electing a parish council. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £218. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church, which was built originally in 1841, was taken down in 1871, and the present building erected. The materials of the old church were used in building the new. It is in the Early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel..
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of West Malvern are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: