Perranuthnoe or St Piran Uthnoe, a parish in Cornwall, on Mounts Bay, 2 miles ESE of Marazion, and 2½ SE of Marazion Road station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Marazion; money order office, Goldsithney; telegraph office, Marazion. Acreage, 1103; population, 819. There isa parish council consisting of ten members. It contains .the village of Goldsithney. Acton Castle is the chief residence. Many points command a fine view of Mounts Bay. The rocks are interesting to geologists, and include valuable minerals. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £230 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1883, and is a plain building of granite, containing some mural tablets and memorial windows. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Perran-Uthnoe St. Peran|
|Poor Law union||Penzance|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1562; marriages, 1589.
Church of England
St. Piran and St. Michael (parish church)
The church of SS. Piran and Michael, first erected about the middle of the 13th century, originally consisted of chancel, nave, small south transept and south porch; in Tudor times a north aisle was added and an embattled tower with pinnacles erected at the west end, now containing 3 bells, dated respectively 1832, 1636 and 1688: a clock tower was erected in 1913 in memory of the late Mr. Trevelyan: in 1883 the church was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, at a cost of £1,410, and is now chiefly a building of granite, with Ham Hill stone dressings: Perpendicular windows have been inserted, the floors relaid and open seats substituted for the former pews; the rood stairs still remain in the north wall: the granite font is probably coeval with the first church: there are mural tablets of modern date to members of the Cole family and one to the Rev. William Moore Johnson D.D. 34 years rector of this parish, who died July 19th, 1849: the east window is a memorial to Willoughby John Trevelyan esq. and was erected by his widow, and the Rev. Richard Astley B.A. late rector, 1850-1902, also inserted a window in the transept to commemorate his daughter: in 1897 an organ was provided; there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Perranuthnoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Perran-Uthnoe (St. Peran))
Online maps of Perranuthnoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.