Longtown, a village and a township-chapelry in Clodock parish, Herefordshire. The village stands on the river Mon-now, and its affluent the Olchon, under the Black Mountains, U mile E of the boundary with Wales, 4 miles N by W of Pandy station on the G.W.R., and 5 W by S of Abbeydore. It has a post and money order office under Abergavenny; telegraph office, Llanvihangel Cmcomey; and has a parish council consisting of eight members. It contains a fragment of an ancient castle, and has fairs on 29 April and 21 Sept. The township contains 6260 acres; population, 610. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £74. Patron, the Vicar of Clodock. The church is ancient and was restored in 1868. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dore|
|Registration district||Dore||1837 - 1838|
|Registration district||Hereford||1838 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Longtown from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Longtown)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Longtown are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: