Kentchurch, a village and a parish in Herefordshire. The village stands on the river Monnow, at the boundary with Monmouthshire, 2 miles SE of Pontrilas station on the G.W.R., and 14 SW by W of Hereford, and has a post office under Pontrilas (B.S.O.); money order office, Grosmont; telegraph office, Pontrilas. The parish includes the hamlet of Pontrilas, and comprises 3353 acres; population, 346. The manor, with Kentchurch Court, has belonged for several centuries to the Scudamore family. The Court is a castellated mansion erected about 1824 on the site of a former house, and stands in an extensive park on the W slope of Garway Hill. The living is a rectory, with Llangua in Monmouthshire annexed, in the diocese of Hereford; net value of Kentchurch, £181 with residence. The church is ancient, was rebuilt in 1859, has a tower, and contains memorials to members of the Scudamore family. In the churchyard is a fine cross erected in 1887, in honour of the Queen's jubilee, upon the base of an ancient one.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kent-Church St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Dore|
|Registration district||Dore||1837 - 1838|
|Registration district||Hereford||1838 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kentchurch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kent-Church (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kentchurch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: