UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Ivington, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Ivington, an ecclesiastical parish in Herefordshire, on a branch of the river Lugg, 2 miles SW of Leominster. It contains the townships of Broadward, Brierley and Wharton, Newtown, Stagbatch and Cholstrey, Ivington, Hyde Ash, and Wintercott, and was constituted in 1844. Post town, Leominster. Population, 707. An ancient camp on Brierley Hill was occupied by Owen Glendower, and has yielded coins of the 14th century. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; gross value,, £317. Patron, the Vicar of Leominster. The church was built in 1842.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Civil parishLeominster 
HundredWolphy 
Poor Law unionLeominster 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ivington from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Ivington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online:

CountyHerefordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtHR6
Post TownLeominster

Advertisement

Advertisement