Harewood, a parish in Herefordshire, near the river Wye, 3½ miles WSW of Fawley station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester section of the G.W.R., and 5½ NW of Ross. It has a post and money order office, of the name of Harewood End, under Ross; telegraph office, Hoarwithy. Acreage, 668; population, 92. The manor belonged to the Rnights Templars, passed to the Rnights Hospitallers, and subsequently to the Hoskyns. Harewood House is now the seat of the Parry family, who own the whole of the parish. An ancient forest, including the parish and extending beyond it, was called Harewood Forest, and contained the castle of Earl Ethelwold, who is supposed to have been assassinated by King Edgar. The church was erected in 1864 on the site of an ancient building, and is a peculiar without endowment used as a private chapel to Harewood House.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Harewood St. Denis
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harewood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Harewood (St. Denis))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: