UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Goodrich or Goderich, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Goodrich or Goderich, a village, a township, and a parish in Herefordshire. The village lies on the river Wye, at the verge of the county, ½ mile from Rerne Bridge station on the Ross and Monmonth branch of the G.W.R., 5 miles SSW of Ross, and 6 NE of Monmouth. It has a post and money order office under Ross. It gives the title of Viscount to the Marquis of Ripon. The parish includes also the township of Huntsham. Acreage, 1945; population of the civil parish, 543; of the ecclesiastical, 712. Goodrich Court was built in 1828-31 by Sir Samuel Meyrick, the antiquary, and is a castellated mansion in the style of the period of Edward II. Goodrich Castle, now an imposing ruin, dates from very early times; was the residence of the Marshalls and de Valences, Earls of Pembroke, and afterwards of the Talbots, Earls of Shrewsbury; passed to the de Greys, Earls of Kent; sustained a siege and dismantlement in the civil wars of Charles I.; went by sale, in 1740, to Admiral Griffin, and descended to the Admiral's grand-daughter, Mrs Marriott. It shows distinct traces of restorations and enlargements, from an early period to a comparatively late one; it formed a parallelogram, of 176 feet by 152, flanked with round towers at the angles; and it commands, from its keep, a most enchanting view of the windings of the Wye, and of the circumjacent country, away to the Malvern Hills and the Welsh mountains. " Its long and narrow galleries, sallyports, batteries, vaulted gateways, semicircular towers, fosses, rock-hewn pits, huge buttresses, loop-holes, and machicolations, decorated chapel, ladies' tower, watch-towers, enormous fire-hearths, warder's seat, once a gorgeous hall, huge fireplaces, great chambers of state, dormitories, garrison towers, and spacious tables-these and many other objects, now broken either by time or by war, and mantled with venerable ivy, attest its grandeur and its strength, when, for six centuries at least, it held sway over surrounding districts, and looked down in its magnificence, as it does now in its decay, upon the waters of the beautiful Wye." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £213 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is ancient, and contains a tomb, said to be that of the founder of the Flanesford Priory, Sir Richard Talbot; also the grave of Thomas Swift, vicar of Goodrich and grandfather of the dean, and a chalice presented by the dean.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishGoodrich St. Giles 
HundredWormelow 
Poor Law unionRoss 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Goodrich or Goderich from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Goodrich or Goderich are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: