UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Foy, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Foy, a parish in Herefordshire, on the river Wye, 2¼ miles SE of Fawley station on the Hereford, Eoss, and Gloucester branch of the G.W.R., and 4 N by W of Ross. It includes the township of Eaton Tregoes, and its post town is Boss. Acreage, 2366; population, 291. There is an iron suspension bridge across the Wye. Perrystone Court and The Chantry are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £4:00 with residence. The church is ancient, and has a good rood-screen and timber roof. It was restored in 1863.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishFoy St. Mary 
HundredGreytree 
Poor Law unionRoss 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Foy from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Foy are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online:

CountyHerefordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtHR9
Post TownRoss-On-Wye

Advertisement

Advertisement