UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Eye, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Eye, a township and a parish in Herefordshire. The township is conjoined with Moreton and Ashton, stands 4 miles N of Leominster, and has a station, jointly with Ber-rington, on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Joint (L. & N.W. and G.W.) railway. Acreage, 2736; population, 315. The parish contains also the township of Luston, which has a post office under Leominster; money order and telegraph office, Leominster. Acreage, 4536; population, 694. Ber-ringfcon Hall is the seat of Lord Rodney. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, o£198 witli residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is of the 12th century, and was restored in 1873; it contains some ancient tombs and a Norman font. The monuments are of the 15th century.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishEye St. Peter and St. Paul 
HundredWolphy 
Poor Law unionLeominster 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Eye from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Eye are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online:

CountyHerefordshire

Advertisement

Advertisement