UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Crasswall, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Crasswall, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Clodock parish, Herefordshire, on the river Monnow, adjacent to the boundary with Breconshire, 6 miles SE of Hay, with a post office under Vowchurch (R.S.O.); money order office, Longtown; telegraph office, Hay. Acreage, 5179; population, 272. An alien priory, subordinate to Grandmont, was founded in the time of King John at what is now called the Abbey farm, and was given in the time of Edward IV. to Christ's College, Cambridge. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £57. Patron, the Vicar of Clodock. The church is ancient and small; it was restored in 1883. There are two Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Civil parishClodock 
HundredEwyaslacy 
Poor Law unionDore 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Crasswall from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Crasswall are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: