Farndish, a village partly in Northamptonshire, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bedfordshire, contiguous to Northamptonshire, 1½ mile N by W from Irchester station on the M.R., and 5 miles SSW from Higham Ferrers. Post town, Wellingborough; money order and telegraph office, Wollaston. Population, 84. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £140 with residence. The church is a small building in the Transitional, Early English, and Later styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Farndish St. Michael|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1587.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Farndish: Baptisms 1587-1966, Marriages 1587-1965, Burials 1587-1944, Banns 1831-1965. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
St. Michael and All Angels (parish church)
The church of St. Michael and All Angels is a small building of stone, in the Transitional, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, and a low western tower rising within the nave, and containing 3 bells, dating from the 16th century: the south doorway is a rich example of the Transition Norman style: the stained east window and one other were presented by the late M. W. H. S. Adcock, of this village, and one in the chancel by the Rev. Greville Chester, a former rector: in the chancel is a small brass to John Johnston, rector (ob. 1625), being then nearly 100 years old; and there are also inscriptions to the Clark, Adcock and Alderman families: the church plate includes an ancient chalice: there are 72 sittings.
Farndish was in Wellingborough Registration District from 1837 to 1844
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Farndish from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Farndish (St. Michael))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Farndish are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.