Breinton, a parish in Herefordshire, on the river Wye, 2½ miles W by S of Hereford. It is divided into Upper and Lower Breinton, and contains the hamlets of Warham and Swainshill. A portion of the parish is within the municipal borough of Hereford. There is a post office at Swainshill (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Hereford. Acreage, 1647; population of the civil parish, 436; of the ecclesiastical, 445. There is an extensive nursery at King's Acre, Upper Breinton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is ancient, has a western tower with a spire, and contains several memorial stained windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Breinton St. Michael
|Poor Law union
|1837 - 1974
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Breinton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Breinton (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: