UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Ballingham, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Ballingham, a village and a parish in Herefordshire, on the river Wye, 1½ mile NE of Fawley station on the G.W.R., and 8 miles NNW of Ross, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Hoarwithy. Acreage, 910; population, 137. A tunnel on the Great Western railway, 1200 yards long, passes through this parish. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Boulstone, in the diocese of Hereford; value, £261. Patron, the Earl of Chesterfield. The church is a small stone edifice with a spire, and was restored in 1885.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHerefordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBallingham St. Dubritius 
HundredWormelow 
Poor Law unionRoss 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ballingham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Ballingham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online:

CountyHerefordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtHR2
Post TownHereford

Advertisement

Advertisement