Wormleighton, a village and a parish in Warwickshire. The village stands on the Oxford Canal and the borders of Northamptonshire, 1½ mile E by N of Fenny Compton station on the G.W.R. and East and West Junction railway, and 7 SE of Southam. It has a post office under Leamington Spa; money order and telegraph office, Fenny Compton. The parish comprises 2451 acres; population of the civil parish, 238; of the ecclesiastical, 280. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Portions of the old manor house, which still remain, are used as a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, Earl Spencer. The church is Late Norman and Perpendicular, and contains monuments to the Spencers and others.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wormleighton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Southam|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Wormleighton:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wormleighton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wormleighton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wormleighton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.