Wolvey, a rural village and a parish in Warwickshire The village lies on the river Anker, 3 miles NE of Shilton station on the Trent valley section of the L. & N.W.R., and 4 S of Hinckley. It has a post office under Hinckley; money order and telegraph office, Bulkington. The parish includes the hamlets of Bramcote, Wolvey Heath, and Smockington. Acreage, 3472; population, 742. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Wolvey Hall was rebuilt in 1676, and has been restored and enlarged; it has a Roman Catholic chapel attached. Edward IV. was surprised here and made prisoner by the Earl of Warwick. An ancient hermitage was on Wolvey Heath, near which spot in 1556 Lady Smyth was burned at the stake. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £220 with residence. The church is partly Norman, partly Decorated, and contains some ancient monuments. The chancel was restored in 1858. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wolvey St. John the Baptist|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Wolvey:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wolvey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wolvey (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wolvey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.