Willoughby, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, The village stands near the Oxford Canal, about 5 miles S of Rugby, and 1½ mile N of Braunston station on the L. &N.W.R. It has a station on the London line of the M.S. & L.R., and was known at Domesday as Wilebei, was once a market-town, and has a post office under Rugby; money order and telegraph office, Braunston. The parish comprises 1759 acres; population, 282. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belonged once to St John's Hospital, Oxford, and passed to Magdalen College. A medicinal spring is about a mile from the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £180 with residence. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is Late Perpendicular, with a tower of earlier date. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Willoughby St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Willoughby:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Willoughby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Willoughby (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Willoughby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.