Weddington, a parish in Warwickshire, on the river Anker, 1 mile N of Nuneaton. Post town, Nuneaton. Acreage, 952; population, 100. Weddington Hall is a fine partly castellated mansion in the Tudor style. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £286 with residence. The church was built in 1733 on the foundations of the previous Norman church, the transept of which was retained. It contains a Norman font, a monument of 1598, and an altar-piece of the crucifixion, after Vandyck. The church was restored in 1881.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weddington St. James|
|Poor Law union||Nuneaton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A transcript of the Weddington Parish Register, 1663-1812 is available to browse online.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Weddington:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Weddington (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Weddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.